Things to know when submitting
• We encourage submissions from writers of all identities, published and unpublished.
• We will not consider writing that has already been published, whether in a book, magazine, newspaper, or on an app, a website or a social media feed.
• We consider only work written in English or translated into English.
• All submissions undergo a blind review and evaluation process based on merit. Successful applicants will be notified in advance of publication.
• Please limit submissions to 7,000 words or less.
• We will consider excerpts if they read as if they were meant to stand alone.
• We are interested in personal essays, think-pieces, memoir and short stories.
• There is a non-refundable $3.00 charge per submission.
• Publication date is scheduled for November 2020.
How to submit
• Please submit only one document
• Make sure there is no identifying information on your manuscript.
• Double-space your document using a standard font such as Times New Roman or Arial. Please leave one-inch margins and include page numbers.
• Documents must be in Microsoft Word (.doc and .docx) formats only.
• Proofread your work. Send only finished work that you really believe in.
• Simultaneous submissions are permitted. If your submission is accepted elsewhere, please contact us with a quick withdrawal note.
• Please do not contact us about your submission until four months have passed.
Fill out the submission form below to submit and send your document as an attachment along with a brief cover letter to email@example.com. Do not paste your submission in the email.
By submitting, writers grant BLA permission to publish their work and acknowledge that BLA is currently a non-paying market. Copyright reverts to the author upon publication. BLA requires first-time North American publishing rights and retains the right to reprint accepted submissions in subsequent online anthologies.
BLA asks that any reprints give first publication credit to Benicia Literary Arts. Each contributor receives two copies of the issue their work appears in. A limited number of additional copies may be purchased at a discount.
Benicia Literary Arts announces an open call for submissions for its premier prose anthology, Carquinez Review.
Carquinez Review is a literary journal publishing creative writing. This issue is dedicated to prose works, including, but not limited to, short story, flash fiction, memoir, and essay. Here's a chance for our members and friends of literature to contribute your best work to our first edition, dedicated to prose writing.
We're looking for work that makes us think and feel. No matter what the genre, we value focus and clarity of vision, deep thinking, good writing, and a sense of orientation in time and place. New as well as established writers are welcome.
The Carquinez Review's open call begins October 1 and ends November 30th. Submissions emailed after November 30th will not be read. There is a $3.00 submission fee.
Below you will find details about how to submit. We look forward to reading your work!